The Energy Economics Group (GEE), Institute of Economics (IE), at Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), brings together a team of professors and researchers conducting studies on matters related to technological, organizational and institutional development of energy industries and markets, focusing on Brazilian case.
Within the IE/UFRJ, GEE offers a range of courses in the area of energy with undergraduate and postgraduate courses - Master's/Doctorate degree and postgraduate courses - and within the Brazilian energy sector, the group has developed several projects in partnership with key players from this sector.
The current main subjects addressed by GEE are:
• energy policy and regulatory frameworks - with emphasis on challenges related to new global integration of Brazilian energy industry, resulting from the pre-salt discoveries and encouragement to use renewable sources, particularly biofuels;
• network industries - with emphasis on the specific challenges of reconciling the gas and electricity industries in Brazil;
• transports and fuels - with emphasis on structural changes arising from technological advances and increased use of renewable sources in the transport sector;
• business strategies - with emphasis on strategies of energy companies against deep changes in current global and Brazilian energy context;
• dynamics of energy industry - with emphasis on structural changes generated from the new technological innovations and institutional contexts marked by the need to respond to threats posed by global climate change.